Friday 19 September 2008

Why does the sun shine?

It looks like summer has arrived in the midlands at last, with the promise of sunshine for the weekend as well! Truly Mother Nature is spoiling us this year.

At the start of the week I was full of confidence that I would find hundreds of songs for adults which kids would like, or songs for kids which parents can smile at as well, on a science theme - but to my surprise they appear to be alarmingly thin on the ground.

I found a few though, which I hope you'll enjoy.

I know Bill Haley and the Comets is a bit tenuous, but (a) I'm going to pretend that it has geological connotations, and (b) it always cheers me up to hear it. My mum owned a copy of it and we kids played it until you could see daylight between the grooves.

Anyhow, it's shorter than I'd hoped, but I think it's a fun listen and I hope you enjoy it as well!

It passed the Tiddler Test I perform with the two smaller children (forcing them to listen to everything before I post it) and the one who has learned to speak said that they should all be kept in. The smallest clapped after every song and jigged around to the bouncier ones. So here goes...

Tracks are:

1. Dem Bones - The Delta Rhythm Boys
2. The Great Atomic Power - The Louvin Brothers
3. Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley and the Comets
4. The Elements - Tom Lehrer
5. Telstar - The Tornados
6. Fire - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
7. Alexander Graham Bell - The Sweet
8. NaCl - Kate and Anna McGarrigle
9. Bunsen Burner - John Otway
10. Why Does the Sun Shine? - They Might Be Giants

The last track is a cover of one of the songs on the science box set I posted last weekend - and middle-sized-one's favourite of the set.

Let the Sun Shine!

For those of a less nervous disposition, here's William Shatner performing Elton John's 'Rocket Man'.

I'll be back on Sunday evening, thanks for visiting my blog!

No comments: